Wednesday, June 12

gluten free finds: thyme natural market & cafe {kew gardens, ny}

After sitting standby at the airport for 5 hours and not getting used (hooray!), the only logical thing to do is find a celebratory gluten free snack. I got back to my crashpad, changed, and headed out exploring. Must.find.something.tasty. I'm happy to report, I was successful.

If you ever find yourself in Kew Gardens, NY and need an organic grocery, look no further. Make your way over to Thyme Natural Market & Cafe. I found this cute organic market nestled between Dani's Pizza and Kew Gardens Fish Market right off of Lefferts Blvd.



I went in looking for anything that might peak my interest and for food that I could pack on an upcoming trip. I struck gluten free gold.



Most of this stuff you can find at Whole Foods or any other organic market, but I was excited to find one so close to me! Here is a list of the items above:

-Earth Balance P.B. Popps
-Leapin' Lemurs Peanut Butter & Chocolate Cereal
-Pirate's Booty Aged White Cheddar
-Snapea Crisps
-Peanut Butter & Jelly Granola Bars
-Annie's Rice Pasta & Cheddar
-Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookie
-Udi's Gluten Free Uncured Pepperoni Pizza


-The Earth Balance P.B. Popps are amazing! They are a perfect blend of the lightness of popcorn with the sweetness of peanut butter.
-The Peanut Butter & Chocolate cereal is good, not great. One of my all time favorite cereals is Reese's Puffs and unfortunately Leapin' Lemurs didn't fare as well in comparison. It's still a good gluten free alternative though.
-I first tried the Pirate's Booty brand during flight attendant training. A friend brought me some gluten free snacks since I could never eat what the rest of the class was having and this was one of the things she brought me. I'm obsessed. I can literally eat an entire bag in a day. I need some serious practice in self control when it comes to this treat.
-The Snapea Crisps are fantastic! I found them on sale a week or so ago at Whole Foods and loved them! When I saw them again at Thyme, I had to snatch them up!


-The PB&J Granola Bars are pretty good. They weren't spectacular and I don't know that I would repurchase them, but they were ok for what I needed them for—travel snacking.
-I have tried a few different types of gluten free macaroni and cheese but none of them have compared to my favorite, Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. I have enjoyed other Annie's products so I figured I'd give the Rice Pasta & Cheddar a try and I was pleasantly surprised! It was great! You have to follow the cooking instructions to a T but if you do that, you're golden.
-I enjoyed the chocolate chip cookie although I'll say I have had better. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, especially for the price.
-Finally, there is Udi's Pepperoni Pizza. Those of you who are gluten free probably already know that Udi's brand kinda seriously rocks. I think I have loved every product of theirs that I've tried and this pizza isn't exempt from that. Try it out, it's worth it.

Overall, my trip to Thyme was a huge success. I will say that it is a bit pricey, probably more so than Whole Foods. But in all fairness, it's a small, organic market in New York. I expect it to be pricey.

Additionally, I am super excited to try some of their juices and smoothies! I have been really wanting to jump on the juicing trend to see what the hype is all about. I'll let you know when I check it out. My guess is that once I try it, I'll never turn back.


Let me know if you've been to Thyme or if you know of other gluten free places in Kew Gardens!

No comments:

Post a Comment