Thursday, September 26

pick a country & go


A month or so ago, I found that I had some extra time in my schedule. With summer flying in full force, I knew I wanted to pick up a transoceanic trip before we lost some of our routes come autumn. As I stared at the computer screen, I called out to my roommate asking what country I should go to. She patiently listened to me list off all my available options and finally replied, "Really?! Any of those places would be amazing. Which do you want to visit most?" The impossible question. Um, all of them?! I don't know how, but I finally settled on Barcelona. And I'm glad I did. 

View from my hotel room.
I started off the day running to the grocery with some of my crew to get some snacks for the beach. We then walked through a beautiful part of the city to get to the beach. This was my first time seeing the Mediterranean Sea...and it was stunning.



I knew that I wanted to see as much of Barcelona as possible on my layover and my best bet to do that was via the Hop On-Hop Off tour bus. I'm thrilled that I ended up doing that, I was able to see so much of Barcelona that I wouldn't have been able to see otherwise. First stop on the bus—Barri Gòtic. 

Barcelona Cathedral


The Barcelona Cathedral is absolutely HUGE. I was not expecting to see this when I walked around the corner. I stood in awe for a few moments before I headed back to the bus. I opted not to go inside because I knew of other places that I intended to spend more time....like...

Casa Batlló. This stunning piece of architecture designed by none other than Gaudí himself is a must-see. I really wanted to go inside but the entrance fee was pricey at €20,35 and had already planned to see La Sagrada Família. Next time though...


Speaking of which...La Sagrada Família was next on the itinerary. I truly don't know how to explain in words the beauty of this place.




Walking in, you're bombarded with sensory overload. It's overwhelming...the complex details and beauty this place holds is incredible. I have never seen anything like it.




La Sagrada Família is called 'Gaudí's dream', and rightly so. It's breathtaking.



While I was in line, waiting to purchase tickets foLa Sagrada Família, I met Marcela. We talked for quite a while and ended up deciding to walk through together. I'm so grateful to have met this sweet girl! It made the experience even more fantastic than it already was! 


When we were deciding which tickets to purchase, Marcela convinced me to get the tickets that allow you entrance to the towers. Smart girl that Marcela.

View from one of the towers.



Stairs to exit the towers.

La Sagrada Família was my favorite part of Barcelona. The beauty of it literally brought me to tears and photos do it no justice. It is magnificent.


The last stop I made was to Park Güell, another extraordinary work of Gaudí.






The sun was setting over the park and I knew I had to catch the last bus back to my hotel. I slept most of the way back as I was exhausted after working all night and exploring all day. Barcelona blew my mind. I immediately fell in love and cannot wait to go back again!

Until next time,
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment